Briggs Chinese Business Area. Colusa County.
The Chinese business area of the town of Briggs was on California Street between Broadway and Commercial Street. There were two laundries in 1884. Reference: Sanborn Insurance Map 1884a.
Colusa Chinatown, Colusa County.
During the 1870's, Colusa Chinatown stretched down Main Street from Fifth Street to Tenth Street, in the City of Colusa. A fire on July 12, 1877 destroyed an entire block between Seventh Street and Eighth Street. Brick buildings soon took their place. Another fire on January 13, 1879,burned more of the wooden structures. Several brick buildings of Colusa Chinatown are still in existence as is the Tree of Heaven. Reference: "Valley Chinatowns" 1972: 30-31.
China Alley, Fresno County.
China Alley is on Kern Street, City of Fresno. A plaque placed by the Jim Savage Chapter, E. Clampus Vitus states, "In 1874 600 people moved to what is now Fresno. Of those, 200 were Chinese, who made the brick and helped start the building of Fresno. A short time later, they were persuaded to settle west of the train tracks. They built an area of shops, which catered to all ethnic backgrounds. It was a thriving area that offered goods, services, and "entertainment" day and night. It was the cosmopolitan area of Fresno for many years and to this day this area still has influence on the city. The brick used here came from an eighty-plus year-old church torn down in the 1970's and is thought to have been made by the Chinese settlers." See Fresno Chinatown, Fresno County.
The 8,709 feet above sea level peak was named in honor of Charlie Lee, a Chinese cowboy. Lee was 11 years old when he arrived in the Fresno area in 1873. He was taken in by the Blasingame family, with whom he spent the next 63 years. During that time, he became an accomplished cattleman and mountaineer. When Joseph N. LeConte, Professor of Geology at University of California Berkeley, began research on the Sierra Nevada Mountains, he hired Lee as his guide. Their friendship grew through the years with LeConte officially naming the peak in Lee's honor. By 1958, a downhill snow ski facility had developed on the flank of the mountain and it was known as China Peak Ski Resort. The facility's name changed to Sierra Summit in the 1970s, although the peak itself retained its original name. Reference: Rose 1985; Rose 1994: 127.
China Peak Ski Resort, Fresno County.
See China Peak, Fresno County.
China Slough, Fresno County. .China Slough is a small body of water parallel to Kings River in China Creek Park. See China Creek Park, Fresno County.
Coalinga Chinese Business Area, Fresno County.
The Chinese business area in the town of Coalinga was on the north side of F Street between Third Street and Fourth Street in 1909. It had one laundry and one dwelling. Reference: Sanborn Insurance Map 1909.
Del Rey China Town. Fresno County.
Del Rey China Town (two words), community of Del Rey, was on the south side of the railroad tracks between Second Street and Third Street. It had nine structures, some of which were occupied by Japanese by December 1917. The Chinatown was gone by 1929. Reference: Sanborn Insurance Map 1917, 1929.
Fresno Chinatown, Fresno County.
Fresno Chinatown began in 1873 with the arrival of the railroad in Fresno and was marked by the construction of a general merchandise building by Tong Duck and Tong Sing. The building was the first made of brick in Fresno. Located on the west side of Fresno near the railroad tracks, Fresno Chinatown encompassed a four square block area by 1881. A population of 171 lived in the community that spanned China Alley, G Street, Kern Street and Mariposa Street. Fresno Chinatown was closely associated with gambling, prostitution and rowdiness, although most of its residents worked as laborers, building such structures as the county courthouse, while others worked on farms throughout the area. Reaching a maximum population of about 1,100 in 1900, it soon decreased in size and various ethnic groups moved into the area. See China Alley, Fresno County; Millerton Chinatown, Fresno County. Reference: Chacon 1988: 371, 373-374; Ng 1994: 154-155.
Fresno Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association/Kong Chow Monument, Fresno County.
The monument is located on G Street between Kern Street and Tulare Street in Fresno Chinatown. It is a rock sculpture with plaques at its base-one in Chinese, the other in English:" The original site of the first Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association and Kong Chow Temple, circa 1880. Plaque dedicated June 1984." The site is presently a public parking lot. See Fresno Chinatown, Fresno County.
Millerton Chinatown, Fresno County.
Twelve Chinese members of the Sue An Company established a mining claim on the San Joaquin River about a mile from Fort Miller (Millerton) in 1861. By 1870, the population had increased to about 300. The Chinese worked as laborers in nearby mines and on construction projects, but a decrease in mining activity and the arrival of the railroad in Fresno prompted many to move to Fresno Chinatown. This, combined with the move of the county seat from Millerton to Fresno, caused the Chinatown to be abandoned. See Fresno Chinatown, Fresno County. Reference: Chacon 1988: 372-373; Opper and Lew 1975: 47-48.
Selma Chinatown, Fresno County.
Selma Chinatown was located along West Front Street below McCall Avenue to the C & K Canal. Chinese were actually the first people to live at the Selma site because of their railroad work there, living in railroad quarters where the town eventually developed. In 1893, the Chinese of Selma Chinatown experienced anti-Chinese activity when approximately 40 non-Chinese invaded their community. The mob stole and damaged property, gathered the Chinese into a group and marched them out of Selma. Law enforcement officers were able to stop the mass kidnapping with 12 people being arrested. The Chinese sued the city for damages done by the