National Forest. It is on the east side of Big Flat Road about two miles north of Big Flat Forest
Service Station where Hurdygurdy Creek enters South Fork of the Smith River. Reference:
to connect Del Norte County and Six Rivers National Forest with southern Oregon. Known as
a corduroy road because its surface was made of logs, it is still usable today. Reference: Wey
Reference: Turner 1993: 49.
was extensive dredging throughout the area and in the nearby Klamath River. Reference: United
States Geological Survey 1978c
(2) China Creek is a year-round creek that flows about three miles. It joins Redwood Creek one- quarter mile south of the community of Brice land. Reference: Turner 1993: 49; United States Geological Survey 1969.
(3) China Creek flows one and three quarters of a mile in a west to east direction all year. It
Hoopa Valley Indian Reservation. It eventually joins the Klamath River. Reference: United States
Geological Survey 1982g.
through a part of the community of Willow Springs and crosses Highway 299 before joining the
Trinity River. Reference: DeLorme 1988: 43; United States Geological Survey 1979b.
within Six Rivers National Forest. A post office was established there in 1878 with the name
China Flat. The name of the post office was changed to Willow Creek in 1915. Reference: Turner
1993: 49, 235; United States Geological Survey 1979b.
It joins Brown Creek within Six Rivers National Forest. There is evidence of mining and dredging
in the area. Reference: United States Geological Survey 1978c.
Eureka between 3rd Street and 4th Street and E Street and F Street. Well established by the early
1880's, the buildings displayed a Chinese architectural appearance. A shooting incident involving
two tongs accidentally killed one non-Chinese and wounded another on February 6, 1885. A town
meeting was immediately called where the decision was made to evict all Chinese within 24 hours.
The Chinese departed the next day on two steamers. The only Chinese to remain was Charlie
Moon, who had married a Native American woman. Reference: Office of Historic Preservation
1976: 206; Turner 1993: 49.
history with little mention of the Chinese. See China Flat, Humboldt County.
where it enters Willard Creek near the junction of Highway 36 and Highway 44 five miles west
of Susanville. The area has been extensively mined. Reference: Compass Maps 1996.
level. It provides somewhat easy passage through a region characterized by steep mountains and
is six and one half miles northeast of the town of Booneville. Reference: United States Geological
eight miles northwest of the town of Gualala. Reference: United States Geological Survey 1960.
ranches. Located in the community of Fort Bragg between MacPherson Street and Harrison
Street and Redwood Avenue and Laurel Avenue, it provided supplies and cultural continuity with
China. There were few stores left in Fort Bragg Chinatown by 1926. Reference: Sanborn
Insurance Map, 1893; Wong 1987: 113.
temple. See Wu Ti Miao, Mendocino County.
deity Kuan Ti (Kwan Kung). Originally designated the God of War, Kuan Ti is revered for his
courage, loyalty, and personal sacrifice. The attributes account for much of his popularity among
the early Chinese immigrants. A plaque outside the temple reads, "One of the oldest of
California's Chinese houses of worship in continuous use, the temple may date back as far as
1854, though its documented history reaches only to 1883. The Chinese built many temples in
California, but most have been destroyed and no others remain on the North Coast.” Inside, the
temple is complete with altars, tapestries, and burners. The temple is California Historical
Landmark No. 927. Reference: Chace 1992: 23, 27; Wey 1988: 107,129-130.
the community of Alturas by 1874. The Chinese who lived there were laundrymen and laborers
with one individual working as a cook. By 1880, the Chinese population of the entire county
numbered only 17. The number increased to 22 in 1890 and dropped to six by 1900 according
to the United States Census. The county's geographic isolation and abundant Native American
labor appear to account for the small number of Chinese. Reference: Cook n.d.: 50; Dollaride
1998; Sanborn Insurance Map 1888.
Redding Street and Center Street and Howard Street and South Street in the town of Anderson.
It contained several Chinese laundries which had disappeared from the town by 1900. Reference:
Sacramento River. The garden is one-half mile long and about one-tenth of a mile wide. There
are extensive orchards throughout the area. Reference: United States Geological Survey 1965.
lived at the site and cultivated vegetables. The produce was sold in nearby mining towns. By the
early 1880's the site was abandoned; Chinese were banned from living in the county. See Hong
Kong, Shasta County. Reference: Office of Historic Preservation 1980.
of a mile where it empties into Cline Gulch. There is a mine tunnel at the head of the stream. It
is about five miles north of the Whiskeytown Reservoir in Shasta National Forest. Reference:
the town of Cloverdale. The entire area has experienced considerable gold mining activity.
Reference: Compass Maps 1989.
Chinese Workings, Shasta County.
to process gold-bearing gravel at the mine. See Igo Chinese Workings, Shasta County.
Shasta. By 1854, Hong Kong had a population of around 500 and 30 to 40 wooden and cloth
structures to include a hotel, several stores, gambling places and temple. Anti-Chinese sentiments
were strong by 1859, resulting in the destruction of Hong Kong in that year. The site of Hong
Kong is within Shasta State Historic Park. Reference: Office of Historic Preservation 1980;
Hill Mine. About 600 Chinese laborers were brought into the area to expand the flume and ditch
system in the early 1860s. By 1884 the mine closed and the Euro Americans left but the Chinese
stayed. They continued to work the mine and it became an all-Chinese community by 1888. Its
name is derived from that time. Reference: Ritter 1986: 7-12.
origin of their place names may be intertwined. One account of the place names pertains to Chinese
miners discovering gold in a nearby stream. When news of the strike was heard, armed
Euro American miners appeared and demanded the Chinese leave. Feeling threatened, the Chinese
said, "I go, I go." Thus, that place became known as Igo. Moving to another stream, the Chinese
again struck gold. Armed miners came and told the Chinese to leave. This time, instead of leaving,
they said, "Oh no, Oh no." Thus, the Chinese stayed and the locale became officially known as
Ono. Other versions of the names tell of a mine superintendent's young son who always cried "I
go, I go” when his father left for the mine. Some have suggested that Igo is actually a Native
American term applied to the town in the late 1870's. However, a post office was established in
1873 using the Igo name. On the other hand, the name Ono may have been suggested by the
Reverend William Kidder, who chose it from the biblical Plains of Ono (Book of Chronicles).
Another account tells of the attempt to name the town with every proposed name being met by
the population with the statement, Oh no! Having exhausted the possibilities, the people settled
on Ono. The name became official in 1883. The true origin of the town names may never be
known. Reference: Gudde 1947: 36, 58; Hoover 1990: 442; Minke 1974: 46, 51; Steger 1966:
40; Wong 1987: 285-286.
one mile west of Ono. See Igo-Ono, Shasta County. Reference: Steger 1966: 50.
273 on Clear Creek Road. The story of its name may be related to Igo and the Chinese. See Igo-
Ono, Shasta County.
The town site of Piety Hill was located on Cloverdale Road near the community of Igo. Established in 1849, it had about 1500 residents and 600 Chinese. The Chinese were miners, vegetable growers and laborers. Many of the laborers dug a 21 mile-long water ditch for a local mining company. The community and Chinese were gone by the 1920's. See Igo, Shasta County. Reference: Swackhamer 2015.
Redding Chinatown, Shasta County.
Chinatown within the city. Located on the north side of Shasta Street along the east side of
California Street, it contained three laundries and 17 dwellings. However, the Chinese were
forced to evacuate because of anti-Chinese sentiment on January 27, 1886. Reference: McGowan
1961:328-329; Sanborn Insurance Map 1885.
in the early 1850s. Reference: Hoover 1966: 506.
National Forest down the flanks of China Peak for two miles before it is joined by several
streams, most notably Wolf Creek and its south fork. China Creek continues a little more than
two miles where it joins the Klamath River at China Point. See China Point, Siskiyou County.
Reference: DeLorme 1988: 24; United States Geological Survey 1980b.
through Klamath National Forest. The areas on both sides of the stream have experienced
considerable mining activity. Reference: United States Geological Survey 1978b.
one-half miles southeast of Cecilville. Reference: United States Geological survey 1979d.
Orleans in Humboldt County. Reference: United States Geological Survey 1980a.
from a Euro American at the turn of the century by Chinese, acquiring its present name. Estimates
of the gold recovered by the Chinese from the tunnel and shaft mine run as high as $200,000. See
China Creek, Siskiyou County and China Point, Siskiyou County. Reference: Hendryx and Rock
1990: 52; United States Geological Survey 1980b.
as China Ditch because of subsequent improvements done to it by Chinese laborers. The ditch ran
for 96 miles and brought water from Parks Creek to mining claims along Yreka Creek.
Reference: Hendryx and Rock 1990: 7.
the town of Happy Camp. It winds next to the river and through the forest. The last half-mile or
so is unpaved and takes one down to the river itself. Reference: DeLorme 1988: 24.
miles west of Interstate Highway 5 on Highway 96. Evidence of extensive and large scale placer
mining is abundant. See China Peak, Siskiyou County. Reference: United States Geological
miles in length, flowing in a north-to-south manner where it joins North Fork of the Salmon
River. There are many mines in the area. Reference: United States Geological Survey 1978a.
(5) China Gulch is a one and one-half mile-long stream that flows in an east-to-west direction where it joins North Russian Creek. It is just north of Little China Gulch in the Klamath National Forest. There
has been considerable tunnel and shaft mining in the area. See Little China Gulch, Siskiyou
County. Reference: United States Geological Survey 1977.
It is eight and one-half miles southwest of the town of Weed and is two miles due west of Stewart
Spring Road. There has been considerable mining activity on the flanks of the mountain. See
South China Mountain, Siskiyou County. Reference: United States Geological Survey 1986a.
above sea level. Considerable placer mining has taken place around its flanks on the Klamath
River . China Peak is located about 15 miles west on Highway 96 from Interstate Highway
5. Reference: United States Geological Survey 1984b.
six miles east of the town of Happy Camp and on the east side of Highway 96. See China Spring,
Siskiyou County. Reference: United States Geological Survey 1980b.
south side of the road. A six-mile journey up the twisting, paved road brings one to the China
Peak Lookout Tower. See China Peak Lookout Tower, Siskiyou County. Reference: DeLorme
fire season, Seen from below on Highway 96, the tower displays a remarkable similarity to a
Ming Dynasty Bell Tower.
about five miles east of the town of Happy Camp. The area was extensively worked by Chinese
miners even after others moved to richer strikes. Through the years, the Klamath River and China
Creek have continued to bring gold down from the higher elevations. Thus, the precious metal can still be found in the gravel of China Point. See China Creek, Siskiyou County. Reference:
the Salmon River. It is about six miles northeast of the town of Forks of the Salmon. There is
evidence of placer mining and dredging throughout the area. Reference: United States Geological
Dunsmuir Chinese business area had several laundries in1892. However, they were gone by 1903.
Reference: Sanborn Insurance Map 1892, 1903.
within such bars, resulting in the presence of Chinese placer miners. Fong Wah Bar is about one
half-mile northwest of Fong Wah Gulch in the Klamath National Forest. See Fong Wah Gulch,
Siskiyou County. Reference: United States Geological Survey 1955.
The name may be a variation on the term "Chung Wah." It is on a high river terrace with evidence
of mining throughout the area. There are thirteen depressions in the ground, suggesting the
number who were interred there. Artifacts such as a burial shroud and coffin have been found.
A fence was placed around the cemetery in 1978. Reference: Hendryx and Rock 1990: 51.
size from 11 to 111 acres, a mine averaged 40 acres. Pick, shovel and wheel barrow were used
to break up and move gold-bearing sand and gravel. Ground sluicing was used to separate the
gold from rock. Water for sluicing often came from a pump developed by the Chinese miners that
became known as the Chinese pump. It was essentially an adaptation of the water wheel used in
China to lift water from the irrigation ditch to the field. Reference: "Chinese Mining .... " 1978:
Singles Tennis Champion, remembered tales about life in Siskiyou County as told by his father.
Reference: Hendryx and Rock 1990: 48.
Crest National Scenic Trail. It measures 8,206 feet above sea level. Like China Mountain, there
has been considerable mining activity on its slopes. See China Mountain, Siskiyou County.
Reference: Compass Maps 1989.
Center Street, it appeared in 1889. By the 1930's, both Chinatowns were gone. See Yreka Main
Street Chinatown, Siskiyou County. Reference: Hendryx and Rock 1990: 19-21.
around the intersection of Main Street and Center Street. See Yreka Chinese Cemetery, Siskiyou
County. Reference: Hendryx and Rock 1990 19-21.
several devastating fires within the community and the cemetery fence completely burned in 1877,
the Yreka Board of Trustees passed a motion by which another site was to be selected for a
Chinese cemetery. The site, announced on September 4, 1877, was Butcher Hill on present-day
Montaque Highway. The rationale for establishing a separate cemetery appears to have been
rooted in the perception by non-Chinese that Chinese burial practices involving the burning of
paper objects caused the fires. Today, a stone marker commemorates the site and reads, "The
graveyard of our friends. Erected in the Mid-summer of the 26th year of Emperor Kwong Shui."
The Chinese Historical Society of America was instrumental in preserving the site. Reference:
River. See China Spring, Trinity County. Reference: United States Geological Survey 1979d.
(2) China Creek is a perennial stream is five miles long and travels in an east-to-west direction within the
Trinity National Forest. It merges with New River near the community of Dailey. There has been wide spread mining activity throughout the area. Reference: United States Geological Survey 1982c.
been considerable mining in the area. Reference: United States Geological Survey 1982h.
China Flat and joins the Trinity River. See China Flat, Trinity County. Reference: United States
Geological Survey 1979a.
Trinity National Forest. It joins the North Fork of the Trinity River. There is extensive evidence
of mining along the creek. Reference: United States Geological Survey 1982i.
west direction. It joins the East Fork of the Trinity River three miles north of where the Trinity
flows into Clair Engle Lake. Reference: United States Geological Survey 1986b.
National Forest. China Creek flows through it. See China Creek, Trinity County. Reference:
garden in the late 1800's. Presently, it is the parking lot for the Trinity Market. Reference: Jones
Mountains, Trinity National Forest. It is north of Helena. Reference: United States Geological
Cents Gulch Chinese Cemetery, Trinity County.
It joins Little Browns Creek four and one-half miles northeast of Weaverville. Considerable placer
mining has occurred in the area. Reference: United States Geological Survey 1982d.
in length that enters the Trinity River. It is four miles east of Moon Lim Lee Rest Area on the
north side of Highway 299. See Moon Lim Lee Rest Area, Trinity County. Reference: United
States Geological Survey 1952.
Gulch and is approximately three-quarters of a mile outside Weaverville on the north side of
Highway 299. Reference: DeLorme 1988: 45.
manner in Trinity National Forest. It joins the larger South Fork of Indian Creek. There has beenmining activity throughout the gulch. Reference: United States Geological Survey 1984b.
The area between the Trinity River and China Hill immediately west of the river was mined
extensively by the Chinese, hence, its name. Reference: Jones 1981: 171.
considerable mining around the peak. Reference: United States Geological Survey 1982f.
China Slide is about 45 miles west of Weaverville on Highway 299 in a steep, rugged area along
property. They were successful until January 3, 1890, when a landslide occurred. The slide
measured about one-third of a mile in length and one-tenth of a mile in width. It killed two
Chinese miners, dammed the river and created a lake twelve miles in length. Reference: Gudde
1969: 63; Jones 1981: 246-47; United States Geological Survey 1982e.
northwest of China Creek in Trinity National Forest. It is the source of water for China Creek.
Reference: United States Geological Survey 1979d.
water source for China Springs Gulch. See China Springs Gulch, Trinity County. Reference:
tenths of a mile long. It meets the North Fork of the Trinity River in Trinity National Forest.
Reference: United States Geological Survey 1982i.
brother, Sam Hawthorne Lee, Jr. See Moon Lim Lee Rest Area, Trinity County. Reference:
Chinese residents by 1886. A Chinese child started a fire that consumed the entire Chinatown in
1889. It was not rebuilt. Reference: Jones 1981: 160-161.
There was reportedly a Chinese temple there. Reference: Wells 1962: 37.
in his honor. See Moon Lim Lee Rest Area, Trinity County. Reference: Wong 1987: 280.
Highway 299. It was named in honor of Moon Lim Lee by the State of California Transportation
Department. Moon Lim Lee's name comes from the activities of his father, Lim Sue Kin. The
father ran a Weaverville restaurant in the late 1800s with the name, Sam Lee. Located on Main
Street, its name means three fold prosperity in a Cantonese dialect. Lim Sue Kin became widely
known as Sam Lee. Thus, the family name changed in a manner not uncommon for that period.
Moon Lim Lee was a prominent businessman and served on many boards and committees that
worked for the betterment of local communities and highways of Trinity County. He was
appointed by Governor Ronald Reagan to the California Highway Commission in 1967 and
served as a commissioner for eight years. His effort in saving Won Lim Miao helped produce
Weaverville Joss House State Park. A plaque at the rest area reads, "Moon Lim Lee. 1903-1985.
A man who with his wife Dorothy Sue Lee, served his state, community, and cultural heritage
with infinite distinction, warmth, generosity, and energy. The extent of his extraordinary service
was equaled only by the number of his friends and those he helped. This monument is dedicated as
next to the Trinity River and flows year-round. Using water from the spring, a Chinese man
known as Mun Loa, established a garden on the nearby river terrace. The vegetables from the
garden were sold throughout the area. As people began to associate the man with the spring, it
gradually became known by his name. Reference: Jones 1981: 172-73.
considered a Chinese placer mining area. This resulted from it being registered as a mining claim
by the She Lim Company in 1860. It was worked primarily by the Chinese until at least 1885. The
claim covered 1250 feet of river bank. Reference: Kelly and McAleer 1986: 5~i 1, 23-24.
the building reads: "Old Weaverville Fire Station. This building with the rammed earth walls was
constructed by the Weaverville Fire District and was their fire station until 1949. In 1949, the
local Fire District, with funding from the California Department of Parks and Recreation and the
local Rotary Club, built a protective structure to preserve the rammed earth walls. Dedicated by
the Native Sons of the Golden West, James M. Smith Grand President, October 11, 1980. In
memory of the U.S. Senator, James D. Phelan." Reference: Wong 1987: 263-264.
Lee Rest Area, Trinity County. Reference: Wong 1987: 280.
Weaverville after 1904, when it purchased the property. It was increased in size by 0.4 acres soon
thereafter. The cemetery was repaired in 1967 at which time E. Clampus Vitus built a wooden
gate. By 1987, only one tombstone, that of Jue Tuey buried in 1973, remained. The cemetery is
said to have good feng shui. See Ten Cents Gulch Chinese Cemetery, Trinity County. Reference:
at the end of Glenn Road near Weaverville and was often called China Grave Yard No.1. The
Sze Yup District Association purchased the property in 1904. See Sze Yup Cemetery, Trinity
County. Reference: Wong 1987: 293-294.
See Weaverville Elementary School, Trinity County.
of worship. Its name means "Temple Amongst the Forest Beneath the Clouds." Built in 1874, it
contains a monk's quarters and a larger room for worship. Three altars inside are dedicated to the
gods of Health, Wealth, and Mercy--all important to those far from home. With a decline in
Chinese population by 1934, the temple fell into disrepair with most of the original contents lost.
The Weaverville Chamber of Commerce and others sought to preserve the temple, possibly as a
state park. Moon Lim Lee was appointed trustee of the temple in 1938 and actively pursued the
idea of it becoming a state park, which occurred in 1956. The park officially opened in 1957 after
extensive renovation. In 1961, it became California Historical Landmark No. 709. Presently, it
has more than 40,000 visitors per year. Being a place of worship, the facility is closed to the
public on days of significance to practicing Taoists. See Moon Lim Lee Rest Area, Trinity
County. Reference: McDonald 1986: 12-29; State of California n.d. Photo
Recommendation for the Ohio Flat Mining District, Trinity County. Sacramento: